The BLM recently released its decision to conduct sterilization experiments on 200 wild mares in partnership with Oregon State University (OSU).
These experiments are cruel, dangerous and even deadly. Yet again, the BLM refused to heed public comments against moving forward and to consider safe alternatives. OSU also ignored public protests.
Actual Wording From the Decision Record:
- Pregnant mares will be used in portions of this proposed action…
- While the surgical field may not be entirely sterile…
- Mares will be categorized in 4 gestational stages (less than 4 months, 4-8 months, over 8 months and open/not pregnant)… approximately 25 horses from each stage of pregnancy will be used for ovariectomy and 10-15 for each stage for tubal ligation.
- Abortions, complications, and behavioral changes will be noted.
- Successful births will be recorded and any fetal abnormalities will be noted.
- Major complications that lead to the death or necessary euthanasia of a mare are anticipated to be less than 2 percent…
- During implementation, if any gestational stage group in any procedure meets a major complication rate greater than 20 percent, then the procedure will be stopped.
Tubal ligation: There are no known studies using this technique to permanently sterilize domestic mares, therefore the duration of the surgical procedure is not entirely known.
Hysteroscopically-guided Laser Ablation Study: There are no known studies using this technique to permanently sterilize wild or domestic mares.
Safe and alternative methods for management on the range and PZP darting for population control show positive results but remain under-funded and under-utilized.
Abortions, complications, fetal abnormalities, lack of sterile environment, procedures leading to death, potential 2% death rate, never before used techniques – this is beyond appalling, beyond outrageous.
And we won’t stand for it!
I need your help NOW to move forward with decisive action to stop this waste of taxpayer funded research and blatant cruelty to innocent wild mares.
The time to act is NOW. I can only do this with your help. We need to raise $5,000 to initiate the next step to help these wild horses. Click here to make a donation.
Please send your most generous gift to give these poor mares a last chance.
Yesterday, U.S. House Representative Jared Polis (D-CO) took the floor and spoke out to defend America’s wild horses from the BLM’s dangerous mass sterilization plans: