Reference Links

Keep up-to-date on horse slaughter legislation, slaughter and wild horse issues – visit these websites:

Below is a list of resources that Front Range Equine utilizes for their organization:

  • To Report Stolen Horses Immediately, Contact NetPosse
    NetPosse is a division of Stolen Horse International, Inc. (SHI). The mission of SHI is to provide a comprehensive theft awareness program to all facets of the horse industry and offer educational opportunities for horse enthusiasts of all types and across all disciplines. We are a global resource to aid in the search for missing and stolen horses, tack, and trailers. Our international network, NetPosse, is used to disseminate images and information of missing and stolen horses through the Idaho Alerts system.
  • The Cloud Foundation The Cloud Foundation, a Colorado non-profit corporation, grew out of Emmy Award winning filmmaker, Ginger Kathrens’ knowledge and fear not only for Cloud’s herd, but other wild horses in the West. “I began to realize that we were losing America’s wild horses,” Ginger says. “Even Cloud and his family are in danger.” The Cloud Foundation is dedicated to preventing the extinction of Cloud’s herd and preserving other wild herds on our public lands.
  • American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign The American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign is dedicated to preserving the American wild horse in viable free-roaming herds for generations to come, as part of our national heritage. Its grassroots efforts are supported by a coalition of over thirty organizations.

Reporting Equine Abuse

  • If you suspect equine abuse or neglect, you must contact your local humane society or animal control (often through the sheriff’s department) for the county in which the horses live. You can report anonymously, but be prepared to provide as much detail as possible (address or best directions if in a remote area; condition of horses; food/water if any, etc.).
  • Be prepared to call back to follow up as many times animal control officers may not do so.
  • You can also alert the State Veterinarian’s office, usually under the Department of Agriculture, in your state.